Skip to main content

Beetroot Pickle | Beetroot Achar


Hey Folks,

Beetroot Pickle was the first ever pickle I made. Probably that should be the first pickle recipe I must have shared through my blog I guess, lol. But that recipe had some mistakes, and on the last day, I made the pickle again by clearing my flaws. So, today I will be sharing my updated recipe for Beetroot Pickle. The color and taste of beetroot pickles are very tempting, so try this simple, quick, and easy recipe of mine.




Beetroot Pickle | Beetroot Achar
Beetroot Pickle - The Perfect Cook Book



INGREDIENTS:

  1. Beetroot - 3 medium-sized
  2. Garlic - 20 cloves
  3. Ginger - 2 tsp
  4. Green Chilli - 2
  5. Mustard Seeds - 2 tsp
  6. Fenugreek Seeds - 1/8 tsp
  7. Asafoetida Powder - 1/4 tsp
  8. Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
  9. Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
  10. Salt - to taste
  11. Vinegar - 4 tbsp
  12. Gingelly Oil / Nallenna 
PREPARATION:

Peel the beetroot and wash it properly. Cut them into small dices, you can chop them into any shape of your liking. 

In a Cheenachatty, add 3 tbsp of gingelly oil, you can increase the amount of oil if you want a little watery texture for your pickle. I like it to be dry, so adjust accordingly. Splutter some mustard and fenugreek seeds. You should add very little amount of fenugreek seeds, or it will cause a bitter taste to your pickle. 

Once they are popped, add crushed ginger and garlic. Add some chopped green chillies too. Saute them well until the garlic turns golden. 

Now add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, asafoetida powder, and salt. Saute until the raw smell of powders goes off. You can add pickle powder, but I don't think that is necessary. 

Now add the chopped beetroot into the Cheenachatty and coat them well in the masala mixture.
Cover and cook for about 8 - 10 minutes. You don't have to wait until the beetroot becomes soft, I like it to be crunchy. You can cook them until the way you like to have them. Check for salt and add if needed. 
You can add water if you like, but when water is added it won't sit for long, so I skipped adding water. 

Now turn off the flame and add the vinegar to it and combine everything well. That's it crunchy, tasty, and colorful beetroot pickle is ready. Store in an air-tight container. Refrigerate if needed after one week. 

Serve it with some rice and fish curry

See you all in my next cooking blog!


Comments